Monday, December 6, 2010

I Heard the Bells

Saturday night, I went to a Christmas Concert by an AMAZING choir and orchestra from the Mesa area. It ended with a favorite Christmas song, "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day". The way it was arranged was so powerful and I just want to share it (But of course you really just had to be there!)

Can anyone else relate to these words?

And in despair, I bow my head. "There is no peace on earth", I said. "For hate is strong and mocks the song of peace on earth, good will to men"

I can relate...and felt something similar to the loss of faith in others and ourselves. The orchestra plays the sorrow in your heart with their dissonant chords as the tempo slows down in the minor key. This melody finishes that verse... but then there is a pause. And then you hear one bell. Then another, and another. Eventually there is a chorus of bells ringing of all different pitches. The tempo picks up, back to the major melody and it completely transforms the mood as the choir comes in singing majestically:

Then peeled the Bells more loud and deep, 'God is not dead nor doth He sleep! The wrong shall fail, the right prevail with Peace on Earth, Good Will to men'....

Wow! Like being snatched from the darkness to the light. The truth of these words breathe in hope, life, faith. God is real, He lives and is still involved in our lives, even in this day. I always need reminding it seems, and music is often the only thing that can reach me ☺ Anyway, hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!!!

1 comment:

Amber Bryce said...

I've always loved this song, too. I wish I could have seen that performance! Thank you for the vivid description, and for the nice reminder about the truths in this song. Merry Christmas to you, too!