Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Facebook Feud


This past week, I’ve seen many people voicing their differing opinions on FB status threads, groups and events regarding a recent General Conference talk in the LDS Church. We’ve all seen it, it's a big debate on Facebook. One of the longest too, as even now I still see ongoing bashing wall posts separated only by minutes. To those who disagree with the talk--and do so in an educated way--I respect your opinions.
Far too many others, however, base their disagreement on other’s selective, misguided interpretations of things taken out of context. It's just not classy and the “opinions” seem uneducated. Those bitter words lose credibility. I can say this because I've been there, and I admit bitterness is not rational thought.
Allow me to suggest this: If you are going to express an opinion, you will seem more intelligent if you base it on full understanding of the subject. Maybe we don’t care how ignorant we seem…and maybe no one will even read this blog post. I'm just using this blog right now to vent my thoughts. I suppose this is a huge pet peeve of mine…and I’m getting all fired up!
A quote by Churchill comes to mind: “You have enemies? Good…that means you have stood up for something, some time in your life”. Many leaders have enemies, but based on the behavior of the opposing side, I feel I know where I can find Truth from what I've come to know about certain kinds of opposition.

6 comments:

ginalenore said...

Hear, hear, Wendy!

ginalenore said...

P.S. I like your fall leaves! :)

Amber Bryce said...

Amen! And that is a great quote by Churchill.

Steve said...

I agree! I got an invite to join the Group "We Love You President Boyd K. Packer". I thought it was a worthy cause, though I don't usually use facebook to sustain my leaders. Then I found that they were trying to send 100,000 letters to Pres. Packer expressing their love.
I'm not quite sure how flooding his office with thousands of letters is supposed to help anything. If you love him, sustain him. Pray for him. Live the gospel.

Wendy said...

Thanks guys! I hope some who read this will not misunderstand...I'm not frustrated with all who have a differing opinion. To those who disagree and do so in an educated way, to you I respect your opinions. It is comments that are based on ignorance with fallacy upon fallacy that I do not respect.

Cheryl said...

I can't even begin to tell you how frustrated I've been about this whole thing and it really bugs me how they're attacking President Packer. The Church has had the same stance on marriage all along. And he NEVER said anything about mistreating those with those tendencies. Like you said, it really is ignorance.