Sunday, December 25, 2011

My Orchestration!

It's been a few years since I graduated from BYU-Idaho, but lately I've been thinking about my experiences there. I remember feeling so proud of my progress in the musical skills I developed as well as discovered.

I was pleased with all I learned and accomplished vocally and also found that I enjoyed learning to play new musical instruments. I discovered how much I love music history and analyzing the unique elements of each musical period and its composers.

But never had I ever imagined I would write music for a full orchestra! I came across a recording of my Orchestration Final of Oh Holy Night. For our Final, our class invited members of the University's Orchestra (whoever was free and willing) to come and play what we wrote. I was impressed! They played our pieces on the spot and did pretty well considering they had never looked at our music before.

Sure, there are some instruments absent, a few early entrances and mistakes...but I love this recording and feel very proud of my Orchestration ☺
I made it into a little video. Listen if you'd like! Merry Christmas!

No comments: