Monday, May 23, 2011

True Blue Through and Through

...Except for my eyes. Contrary to popular belief, my eyes are actually green.  I love my green eyes, they are quite stunning if I do say so myself...but anyway, that's not what my post is about ;)
You know those color personality tests?  I took one as part of a college assignment (one that was legit) and my color was Blue.  One of the characteristics listed about Blue Personalities was that we greatly value being understood.  So True!  Mostly because I march to the beat of my own drum and often feel misunderstood.  So I live for opportunities to express myself.  It was a motivating factor to start this Blog back in the fall. 
Another motivation has to do with a line from favorite quote of mine:
As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” –Marianne Williamson
That is also part of my Blueness: I want to be an open book if it means I can benefit someone else. Now allow me a little twist to also say that as I let others see my darkness, I give them permission to do the same.  What do I mean by this? On occasion, we may feel the need to keep up "appearances" and be "perfect".  I think many problems have arised because of this.  One of the most amazing opportunites we have been given is to work towards perfection in a variety of ways...but I wonder if we take it a little too far and miss the real point.  We choose to bottle things up, not do or say something that would otherwise be so beneficial even vital simply because we are afraid of how we will appear to others.  So I may, at times, share my "dark side" because that is also part of the real me. I feel liberated by letting others see it and hope it will lift a burden of another.  Another quality trait of a Blue:  We like to be Real and appreciate it when others are the same. 
A while back, I read a Post that expresses well my feelings on this topic. The Disease Called Perfection "Be bold about your weaknesses and you will change people's lives. Be honest about who you actually are, and others will begin to be their actual selves around you."

No comments: