Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You?

This morning I watched the 9/11 Memorial in New York, the Pentagon, and Shanksville, PA. I heard names read, stories of bravery retold and various moments of silence for times beginning when the first plane hit, to when each tower fell.  Many things touched me: Two diferent performances of Amazing Grace, a story of fellow students staying with and comforting children of parents involved, and honoring brave people who selflessly gave their lives to save others: Firefighters, Rescue Teams and the people on Flight 93.

We always recall where we were on that day and what we remember.
I remember my mom waking me up for family prayer, which we always did before my younger sister went to school. When I came in the room, they were watching the news and I was told a 2nd plane crashed into the World Trade Center. Our Nation was under attack. It seemed so unreal, like something you see in the movies.

I was going to college at EAC and I remember that everything seemed to stop on campus. In choir that day, I remember feelings felt as we sang these words:
Lo yisa goy el goy cherev
Lo yil'medu od milchamah

The Hebrew words translate the scripture about turning swords into plowshares and nations shall learn war no more. I read it a few days ago and remembered that song. I always do, even 10 years later.

I remember being on the student council and us working together for a Candelight Vigil on campus for that night. A few weeks later, we did a blood drive on campus and I remember being impressed with how many people showed up do give blood.

Looking back now, I feel I should've spent more time with my family that day rather than being so caught up in my college life.
Yes, we all remember September 11th. How could we forget? Where were you?

No comments: